Advanced Brain Care Program
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)
- Reduces cerebral edema
- Reduces neuroinflammation
- Increases oxygen saturation to the brain
- Promotes new blood vesel growth (Angiogenesis)
- Can create a 8-fold increase in your own stem cell production
- Reactivates idling neurons within the most oxygen-deficient areas of the brain
Our Brain Care Program is designed to further assess cognitive performance before after and at mid-way points in your HBOT course of treatment.
These therapies expand the care available to those with damage to the brain in three ways:
- Nutritional supplementation proven to lower inflammation, increase lymphatic flow and neuroplasticity as well as optimize brain chemistry;
- Brain exercises to be done at home;
- Cranial osteopathy
We have found that the brain is such a sensitive yet crucial organ for our mood, our ability to make life defining decisions, work performance and overall functioning that we want to provide everything we can to help those who come to us for HBOT due to brain inflammation as a result of trauma or infection. The full evaluation requires three to eight extra office visits.
During the fist visit an objective computerized neurocognitive testing is done as well as a nutritional assessment and assessment of the cranio-sacral mechanism. The second visit is to review the cognitive abilities test, food diary review and to give a nutritional treatment protocol. Visits three through seven are optional and involve cranio-sacral osteopathic manipulative therapy on a weekly basis. The last treatment is for follow up assessment and re-evaluation of the Cognitive Abilities Test. All of these appointments are lead by a fully trained physician in these areas. For those who decide to enter the Brain Care Program, there are additional fees that may or may not be covered by insurance for these services. The services are considered “out of network” by the insurance provider. As a part of this program you may be encouraged to get additional tests done at other facilities to add on to a complete foundation of evaluation. All of the tests are optional and complimentary to your total Brain Care.
- You will be given a food diary to track your diet for one week.
- You will be given access to high quality medical grade nutraceutical products to meet your needs for proper nutrition.
- Your toxicity level will be assessed with a symptom questionnaire.
- You may be encouraged to do further assessment for neuro-toxins.
- You will have on hand nutritional supplements that are medically proven to reduce brain inflammation and promote brain healing.
You will sign up for an on-line computer brain-training system built and tested by an international team of top neuroscientists and other brain experts. Unlike other brain-training programs, this system is proven to work—dozens of published papers (and counting) show real benefits from using exercises in this program, such as the IMPACT Study. This study with 487 participants was the largest clinical trial ever to examine whether a specially designed cognitive training program significantly improves cognitive abilities in adults. This research shows cognitive benefits (such as better memory and faster processing) as well as real-life benefits (such as safer driving and better hearing in noisy places). No other program has this level of proof.
You can design your own training or you can sit back and let the program select the best brain exercises for you. Plus, you can train for as little or as much as you want at a time.
A landmark study with dramatic results
With 487 participants, the IMPACT study is the largest clinical trial ever to examine whether a specially designed, widely available cognitive training program significantly improves cognitive abilities in adults. Led by distinguished scientists from Mayo Clinic and the University of Southern California, the IMPACT study proves that people can make statistically significant gains in memory and processing speed if they do the right kind of scientifically designed cognitive exercises.
IMPACT study participants who used the brain training exercises experienced statistically significant gains in several areas. Following are just a few:
- Participants who used the brain training exercises increased their auditory processing speed by 131%. This means that the brains of the people who used the exercises could take in and process information (such as speech) more than twice as quickly after they completed the exercises than before. That could mean following much more of a conversation.
- On average, people who used the brain training exercises experienced an improvement in memory equivalent to approximately 10 years. They also made statistically significant gains (performed much better) in four standard memory tests used in the study.
- Three out of four people who used the brain training exercises self-reported positive changes in their everyday lives. People didn’t just test better, they noticed changes in their daily lives as well—perhaps the most meaningful result of all.
These results had statistical significance over those for people in the active control group, who followed a computer-based program of active learning.
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT)
When a head is hit there is actual compression inflicted on the cranial vault. If the side of the head is hit that is in the area of the temporal bones which houses the vestibular apparatus. The vestibular apparatus is in charge of balance and hearing, so compression and traumatic impact to this area can cause sound sensitivity and dizziness as well as balance issues. Once the head is “off” this can lead to compensatory mechanisms in the cervical, thoracic, pelvis and sacral regions causing additional pain and worsening symptoms. Pain in these areas could show up as neck pain, upper back, lower back of pelvic. The spine is one continuous unit and therefore what affects the cranial base from a cranial bone trauma can then affect the neck and continue down the body… much like a twist on one end of a rope will affect the rope at the other end.
During an osteopathic manual therapeutic assessment the patient is palpated for: trauma/tension, restricted motion in the cranial and facial bones, autonomic nervous system firing patterns that are weighted towards sympathetic “fight and flight” and increasing fluid flow to decrease edema, clear neurotoxic byproducts and enhance inherent immune response.
Concussions commonly occur in adolescents. Although the majority of adolescent patients’ symptoms resolve, about 11% continue to experience symptoms at 3 months. In a recent article from the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association published March 2016 Volume 116, Number 3 “Osteopathic manipulative therapy as part of a multidisciplinary team approach to concussion can help quicken recovery and improve quality of life.
In the field of Osteopathy we use our hands…
- To treat the Whole patient
- To listen to the indwelling movements of Life
- To treat all levels of illness
- To assist in building the patient’s functional reserve
To support homeostasis and trophicity by balancing the activity of the Autonomic Nervous System
- To cooperate and communicate with the Laws of Nature
- To find the Health
- To help establish a point of Rest or Neutral around which the Whole can come to balance to find Cause
- That we have the innate capacity to heal
- That the body functions as a whole
- That the autonomic nervous system plays a major role in disease and healing
- That structure and function are one form of activity
- That there is a constant movement towards Normal
- That we are here to Serve Humanity
HBOT & Brain Care Creates New Neuronal Synapses
We want to give you options for the best care possible for your brain and nervous system. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is the core component and we believe there are complimentary therapies that can work to enhance the effects of HBOT. When certain nutrients are given that help lower inflammation the oxygen can be used for healing injured tissue that can then heal and grow in a non-inflammed state.
Cranial Osteopathy relieves restrictions to blood circulation in the brain. With HBOT the oxygen delivered can get into the recesses of the brain that may have been hindered anatomically before. With our brain exercise program, if a person stimulates their brain while it is healing this encourage the formation of new neuronal synapses, helping create and reconnect the pathways for faster, clearer, more efficient thinking. Most hospital based programs do not go to this extent to provide such comprehensive care. We are proud to launch this new offering.