The Important Role of EMS workers in HBOT
Crush injuries, burns, wounds… Emergency medical personnel are at risk and need to know about this life-saving therapy.
All Emergency Medical Personnel should know where the closest hyperbaric chamber is, and EMT’s who understand the concepts of Hyperbaric Therapy are indispensible. If you haven’t heard of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT), it’s only a matter of time before you are required to be educated in the basics of treatment. Whether you are transferring patients from a hospital or working in the emergency room, you may be called upon to assist medical direction in the referral of patients. What’s more, medical grade hyperbaric treatment is covered by Medicare and other insurance companies based on hundreds of proven and promising case studies. This has led to the exponential growth of HBOT in medical facilities and inclusion in treatment plans for patients.
Don’t get left behind
- Aside from Military personnel, special medical technicians, and Registered Nurses, EMT’s can gain special certifications as a Hyperbaric Technologist. (www.NBDHMT.org)
- HBOT will most likely be included in every major hospital and in many private treatment facilities within the next decade.
- Increase your knowledge in new medical technologies to increase your dependability and skills, making you indispensable at work. EMT’s transport patients to hyperbaric departments and facilities, they can help identify appropriate candidates while in the field, and with the right certification or oversight, can actually assist with treatment.
- Fire crews should also have basic knowledge of HBOT, as there are specific NFPA regulations for HBOT facilities that fire crews must be aware of for enforcement and emergency situations.
- EMS personnel are our everyday heroes and are unfortunately most at risk for many of the insurance coverable conditions treated by HBOT, including burns, wound healing and poisons to name a few.
- We are in the process of seeking grant’s for EMS workers injured in the line of duty.